Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Then and now........

I remember when I went for my very first interview with EY, they asked me "Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?" Thankfully I had already thought of the answer to that question before hand and had already practiced my presentation of my response multiple times. My answer was a very diplomatic "In 5 years time, I see myself as a manager in EY; helping my juniors build up their careers in EY by providing them guidance as how my seniors and managers did for me." BRAVO BRAVO!! Great reply if I may say so myself. However, I must admit that the answer severely lacks in honesty and reality.

It was slightly more than 6 months ago when I had my first yearly review with my partner. She asked me what path would I like to take in my stay in EY. Unfortunately to say, I was still fresh at that time and I did not know what I wanted or what was best for me. Therefore, my reply was a simple "Oh, I would like more outstation or overseas job to broaden my knowledge and exposure. Besides that, I hope to be more involved in various difference industries and not only financial services companies to be able to see what is the best practice in various industries." Oh gosh, thinking of my reply makes me feel like such a bimbo. Sad to say but at that point of time, that was what I felt was the right answer.

However, after 1 1/2 years of working experience; I realised many things that I did not and would not if I did not go through what I have been through. Now, I ponder alone; where do I see myself 3 1/2 years from now. The most honest answer that I can give to that question is "I'm not too sure but hopefully not in EY and earning a good salary." I took a good look at myself where I am now and in all honesty, I can't picture myself to still be in EY doing what I'm doing now in 3 1/2 years time. In addition to that, I also hope that I will not join another audit company. But my colleague told me something really true today, if you want to work overseas; it's always easier to apply for a similar position to what you have now. I do hope for an opportunity to work overseas at some point in my career because I believe it will broaden my horizons and open my up to the environments and culture of a different country.

For my next yearly review with my partner, I am more than ready this time to make full use of this time of discussion with her. At this point in my career, I'm glad to say that I know what I want to gain from EY to better prepare me for my future. I am going to specifically request to be placed in jobs which I want to specialise in to improve my skills as well as my resume. This time round, I know what I want and I will make sure I get the message across. I will do my best to gain what I need from EY before preparing myself to leave the firm.

No matter where we're working, we need to have goals and objectives. We need to know what we would like to gain from this experience and maybe a timeline for that objective. Once we have succeeded in that objective, it's time to move on to greener pastures or to meet another objective. When its time to leave, it's time to leave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home